Background

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ground Beef & Rice




When I was younger, my momma would make this dish. When she made it, she just used the ground beef and Beef flavored Rice a Roni then she'd sprinkle a little black pepper over it before she served it up.
We always had my grandma's homemade Bread n Butter pickles on the table. One night a little bit of the juice from the pickles leaked over in to my rice. When I tasted it, I thought it was the best thing ever! Funny how our tastes buds are when we're kids...we could eat the weirdest combination of foods.

But..to be honest...I'd still think it's delicious. Only thing is, I miss Ma's pickles. I haven't had them in a while and I haven't even tried to make them. Guess it's time that I did, huh? .

Momma called it Ground Beef & Rice...so that's the name that has stuck with this recipe over the years. I do add a few more ingredients now. Without the pickles, I felt like it needed a little extra flavor.




Ground Beef & Rice

1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup green bell pepper
1 1/2 tsp hamburger seasoning
1/2 - 1 tsp black pepper (depends on your tastes)
1 (6.8 oz) box beef flavored Rice a Roni

In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and pepper 
until beef is no longer pink and onion and pepper are soft.
Drain. 
Add hamburger seasoning and pepper.
Stir until seasonings are mixed in to the beef and veggies.
Remove beef mixture from skillet and in to a bowl.

Prepare the Rice a Roni according to directions on package. (step 1 and 2)
After you add the water and seasoning mix, add the beef mixture back to the skillet.
Stir until it's all pretty much covered with water.
Continue to cook according to pkg directions.

Serves 4 - 6

Serve with veggies and a dinner roll 
and call it supper!

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I use to make this, but instead of peppers, I would add frozen peas long enough to keep them firm. Forgot all about it till I read your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom use to make this too. My mom would say, "nothing special for dinner tonight just ground beef and rice." Well, I thought it was special and still think it is special. Perfect weeknight meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you suffer from gluten sensitivities? Rice is not only scrumptious, but it's gluten-free as well!  organic brown rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Helpful information for the general public, If you're interested to purchasing Electronics and Home Appliances then visit us:
    Home and Kitchen Appliances
    Kitchen Appliance Packages
    Best online shopping marketplace
    <a

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Come back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...