Background

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hot Milk Cake



Every year...well, several times a year actually...I bake this cake. Most of the time it's for my oldest son on his birthday or just because I know he loves it so much. The rest of my family is quite fond of it too. So yea..to be honest, we all LOVE this cake! This last time, I accidentally added two teaspoons of vanilla instead of one, and we all noticed the difference! As my grand-daughter says "Gramma, this is more vanilla-wy"

This family favorite recipe was published in the upcoming Gooseberry Patch cookbook..Quick and Easy Christmas!
How cool is that??

The perfect cake for dessert, snacking, or church fellowship...or even breakfast. But always with a tall glass of milk...or coffee, for those of you who drink coffee.

HOT MILK CAKE
12 - 16 servings


4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla (I used 2)
1 1/4 cup milk
10 TBSP butter or margarine

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes.









Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy.












 Combine flour with baking powder; add to batter with vanilla and beat at low speed until smooth.




In a saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter melts, stirring occasionally.



Add to batter, beating until combined. Pour into a greased 13 in. X 9 in. x 2 in. baking pan. Bake at 350* for 30 - 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Top should be light golden brown.

Cool on wire rack.



 Hot Milk Cake..in all it's sweet, moist, crumbly-ness!





17 comments:

  1. What an easy cake! It looks awesome! So did they LIKE it more vanilly or not? Interesting how they noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask the same thing that Debbi did. Was the more vanilla-wy cake a thumbs up? ;D I should really try to make this it, even though I'm not much of a baker. It looks too good to miss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea...they loved it with the extra vanilla. That's the way I'm going to make it from now on. I love how 'accidents' turn out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really sounds good, and looks easy enough I could probably make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make one very similar to this and we love it! I will put strawberries (with their juices on top) to make it like a shortcake. So good! Love this! And you can't go wrong with more vanilla! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this cake but mam ooo man it looks & sounds so good. I will be makin this sometime soon! Do you mind if I link my blog to yours when I make any of the recipes off your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to stop over and let you know that I made this cake again today...it is SO good!!! My kid's have put everything on it. Thanks so much for a wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to thank you for posting pictures of how you make the recipe. That seems to help as well in making the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I'm am for sure going to have to put this in my recipe box and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This a cake from my teen years. In high school a pal would share it at lunch with me. I never got the recipe. Now THIS grandma will make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is a wonderful story.... i love that you were able to learn how to make it ! I'm baking my fist one right now! I did not use vanilla extract or butter so i substituted butter with coconut oil... i justdidn't have the other items. I let you know how it turns out!

      Delete
  11. Can you use cake flour or self rising flour instead of all purpose flour????

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had to pin this on my pinterest. I can't wait to try it out. Looks so delicious!! Thanks for sharing :)

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this receipt last night.....very very very good! My girls ate 1/2 the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried it several times and it turned out great, but the problem is that it sometimes after i take it out of the oven it collapses :( any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has anyone added cinnamon? I remember my grandmothers having cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Come back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...