Background

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Water Gravy - Ma's good cookin'!


Ma would cook up some of the best breakfast!
Her house always smelled so good anyway, 
but the breakfast meal, to me, smelled the best!
If we weren't soppin' our biscuits in butter and syrup,
then she'd make up a skillet full of water gravy. 
Ma loved to add fresh tomatoes and sometimes even mackerel to her gravy!
Yea...gross, I know.
I can handle the tomatoes...but the fish? No way!

So, one day, Ma asked us kids to try something else a little bit different.
Water gravy. 
With ketchup in it.

We knew you couldn't go wrong with ketchup.
Ketchup was good on everything!

Well, needless to say...
we were hooked.

I introduced gravy and ketchup to my children when they were young,
now they love it too!

Ma's Buttermilk Biscuits

It's definitely one of those
"don't knock it 'til you've tried it" 
kind of meals!


WATER GRAVY
Over medium heat, melt 2 - 3 TBSP shortening or bacon grease in a skillet.
Add enough flour to thicken...about 1/4 - 1/2 cup.



Cook until flour mixture is medium brown in color.
(the flavor of the gravy changes from light to dark)
Stir constantly.....

Stir in 2 cups water, mix with whisk to remove some of the chunks.
Continue to stir until it's as thick or thin as you like...add more water if needed.
Turn fire down to low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes...
while you're getting biscuits out of the oven. :-)

While gravy sits, it will form a film over the top.
And that's ok...
Just stir it around and the film will dissolve back in to the gravy!

We like our gravy thick...and this is why.
We add ketchup to it. 
Yes...ketchup.

Stir until ketchup and gravy are combined.
Break up a biscuit and add it to the gravy.
Stir around until biscuits are covered!

With a tall glass of cold milk,
believe it or not...
it is
DELICIOUS!!


8 comments:

  1. Delicious...When I was young my Daddy always made tomato gravy for us kids.When out of tomatoes my Momma suggested using ketchup since we were so used to the "tomato flavor".My kids also love it.Iv'e tried many times to eat it without ketchup,but all I taste is flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When people are poor and way to proud to ask for help a little shortening and a bag of flower can fill some empty stomachs. Biscuits and gravy the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My momma could always rustle us kids up a HAPPY MEAL, she had a REALLY nice ass.

      Delete
    2. You are right. When I was a struggling college student I learned to make lots of things with water instead of milk, including biscuits and gravy.

      Delete
  3. Amen Debra I've had a bunch of good meals off water gravy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never been poor or needing anything but if I was asked..biscuits and gravy or steak..the biscuits win..gravy is my weakness..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had grape jelly but never ketchup in my mothers gravy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Come back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...