Background

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sausage Gravy



When I think of breakfast, I think of Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.
That, in itself, is a meal.

There are so many different recipes for Sausage Gravy.
I will use one of the others from time to time, 
but I was taught to make it simple.
So, that's what I do.
Sausage, flour, milk, salt and pepper.
That's it.
Ma would tell me,
"We didn't have all that extra stuff back in the day. We used what we had."
If it worked for my grandma, it'll work for me!

And like Ma, I usually don't measure my ingredients,
I "just add it 'til it looks good".

Sausage Gravy

1 lb bulk pork sausage (I use mild)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 -3 cups milk
(depends on how thick or thin you like your gravy.
Start with 2 cups, then add more as needed)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp pepper

Brown sausage on medium/high heat. DO NOT drain.

Add flour and stir until all is combined.

Add milk, gradually, then stir until all mixed together.

Turn fire down to medium,
stirring occasionally.
Allow to cook for about 15 - 20 minutes,
turning to low, when heated through, to keep from scorching.
Add more milk if needed.
Gravy will thicken as it cooks.


Spoon over biscuits or toast!



 A country breakfast at it's finest!









1 comment:

  1. That looks so delicious. I haven't had that in years but I do love sausage gravy with biscuits.
    Thanks for the recipe. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Come back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...