Background

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Seven Layer Cookies






This is another one of those recipes that most everyone has their own version of.  
25 yrs ago my mother-in-law gave this cookbook to me. That was the first time I had heard of these cookie bars. I've made them a lot over the years. 
They were one of my most requested recipes when serving them to company or at potlucks.
In the past several years, since I started food blogging,
I found out just how popular these cookie bars are.

Hmmm...now I'm wondering... did my mother-in-law start this recipe going around the world?
Did I? I did share it with a lot of military spouses.
Could she...or I...be responsible for this delicious cookie being so loved by so many?

Yea...although I'd love to believe that, I doubt very seriously that it's true.

But...it is true that they are delicious.
Seven layers of goodness all wrapped up in to one ooey - gooey cookie bar.



                                   This is the recipe that she had published in the cookbook.



It may be a little hard for some of you to understand the directions...
so here...allow me to translate for you.


Seven Layer Cookies/Bars

 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine
1 cup finely rolled graham cracker crumbs

In a 9 x 13 baking dish/pan, melt margarine.
Sprinkle crumbs over the margarine, spreading them evenly.


Add the following ingredients in order...
1 cup coconut
1 12oz pkg chocolate chips
1 11oz pkg butterscotch chips
Sprinkle over each other until spread evenly.

Drizzle 1 can sweetened condensed milk over the top of the chips. 
Add 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (I use pecans)

Bake at 300* for 30 minutes.
Cool completely before cutting.

After 30 minutes, if the butterscotch chips are not melted, you can bake it for a few minutes longer. The chips are pretty soft, but keep their shape after 30 minutes, and that's the way we like 'em.  



 So, there you have it.
Some of the most delicious cookie bars

you'll ever taste!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Come back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...